Ayurveda is an ancient practice that dates back to about 3000 centuries ago. It is a practice that is based solely on improving the health of the body, mind and consciousness of the human body. It is mainly the use of herbs and natural plants to help improve human well-being. Ayurveda was coined from two Sanskrit words, Ayur meaning life and Veda meaning science or knowledge. Hence, you can say Ayurveda is the science or knowledge of life. The main ingredient in Ayurveda is the ashwagandha herb, a type of adaptogen plant that is found to grow best in India and some parts of Africa and the Middle East. To know more about Ayurveda and its advantages, you should Read the full article.
The ashwagandha herb is one of the most essential ingredients in Ayurveda. It has been used for thousands of years in the relieve stress, increase energy levels and improve concentration. In Sanskrit, ashwagandha stands for “smell of the horse”. This refers to both the herb’s scent and its ability to increase strength.
With the botanical name Withania somnifera, its extracts have been used in managing a variety of conditions including anxiety and infertility. It is also known as Indian ginseng and winter cherry.
Below are the benefits of ashwagandha
- It may aid stress reduction and management of anxiety. It is well known for its ability to reduce stress hence it has been classified as an “adaptogen”, a substance known to help the body deal with stress.
- It may benefit athletic performance. Research has been made on the use of ashwagandha in increasing athletes’ performance, and it has been found to enhance the physical performance of athletes, including their strength and the use of oxygen during practice and exercise.
- It may alleviate the symptoms of some mental health problems. In some cases, it has been found to help reduce the symptoms of some mental health problems like depression.
- May boost testosterone levels in men and increases fertility.
- It may reduce blood sugar levels. This also implies that it can be used as an adjunct in cases of people with diabetes or hyperglycaemia (high blood sugar levels).
- It has been found to also help in reducing and/or preventing inflammation.
- It has been found to improve cognitive function improving brain function and memory.
- Can be used in cases of insomnia.
- Because of all these, it is readily available and safe for use.
However, you should know that it cannot be used as a replacement for your drugs, but can be used as an adjunct. Do not take ashwagandha if you have any autoimmune diseases and always speak to your healthcare provider before taking them.